Thursday, March 14, 2013

7 Days - 7 Thoughts

Fairbanks, Alasaka Day 7

#1 - Fierce Weather trumps clear skies. Last night we stayed in. Ready to brave the -20, Jess recognized the safety issues when the wind was gusting at 30 miles an hour. We stayed in.

#2 - People are nice in Fairbanks. They are genuinely happy to see people. They are extremely laid back.

#3 - Alaska is still a territory. There is a wild hair frontier joi de vier  that is apparent. I have found this in New Mexico which has more sophistication but the same vibe.

#4 - I'm too comfortable in Hippie places. Went to the Golden Eagle Saloon where you can booze, play darts and cook your own burger. That is the food service. No one else wanted to cook there own burgers ...it would have been cool.

#5 - Miss my wife, but this is not her trip. It would be good for a long weekend. She would love the dogs, not the cold and remoteness.

#6 - I love my trappers fur hat. Frickin warm baby! Laugh at it all you want, I'm warmer than you :)

#7 - Krackeur's "Into the Wild" bus is nearby. I have no desire to see it. You don't flip off Mother Nature. Nothing romantic about it.

In a Saloon, hippie or not, one must have a shot of Alaska Whiskey!

-4 At the time of the pick

Esther, AK

No comments: